Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On not stinking like an ashtray

Your little dragon was out on the ales last night with long time friend and occasional commentator on this blog "Blackpowder"1; as usual at these events much Timmy Taylor's Landlord was consumed, laughs were had and I seem to remember we called the McCanns a bunch of creepy cunts on more than one occasion.

However about half way through the evening I noticed something... I was breathing. As you may know I'm a slightly asthmatic dragon and I don't tolerate smoke especially well but it wasn't smoky. Of course I'd forgotten about the smoking ban and this was the first time I'd been in a pub since it came into force. I must admit to being somewhat torn on the idea of a smoking ban. On the one hand I take a classic libertarian approach in that people can do what they want to their own bodies and the owner of a premises should be free to dictate the terms of use of those premises. conversely I fucking hate cigarette smoke and waking up in the morning stinking like an ashtray with a trip to the dry cleaners in prospect as my clothing now smells like Beelzebub's arse.

The clincher came this morning however. After a night in the pub on the Milk of Amnesia I woke up without that feeling that throughout the night two gay bull elephants have been bouncing up and down on my chest whilst having sloppy botty sex.

Smoking ban = good thing.


1 Who I think I managed to persuade to start his own blog which is sure to be hilarious and even more grumpy than mine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes the ale was good and I am thinking about the blog - I could start with the input from yesterdays conference - it seems that I am now to be asked to grade my clients mental capacity as the finacial ombudsman now backs any claim where the complainant states that they are unemployed. we are now being asked to record peoples qualifications and training just to prove they are not too dim to understand a few basic financial concepts!
My suggestion for a series of tick boxes on the forms starting at "As thick as two short ones" and ending in "flaming genius" did not seem to play well with the powers that be - the advisers all laughed though so who knows.....

Dracunculus said...

See, what did I say! Stick some stories like that in and you'll be famous as that copper in no time.

I'm not sure where my mental capacity would fit on your forms. "My client believes that he is a small green dragon who lives on top of a pile of gold, jewels and collateralised debt securities behind some water pipes in Norfolk"

Just curious, if someone is that dim do you have to turn their business down?

Garth said...

I think them McCanns almost certainly McCould and most probably McDid

Stephen said...

Marvelous thing this smoking ban, makes drinking in pubs a joy. I used to enjoy a pint in beer gardens but have to drink inside now because of the foul cigarette smoke outside. Driving through London last night I thought there had been a disturbance because of all the people on the pavement outside a pub, then I realised they were nicotine addicts.

natural yogurt

Dracunculus said...

Pisces... did they go for a McDonalds afterwards?