Monday, July 07, 2008

Belgium

Why is Belgium so ugly?

I've been travelling around Europe for a while and there's something about Belgium that I could not quite put my finger on until yesterday when I had to cross it from The Netherlands to France and it came to me; the country is just plain butt ugly. Everything seems to look tatty, a casually thrown together mess of overhead power cables and concrete, all the buildings are either brown or grey, the road signs on the motorway are horrible to look at and what is with those tatty red number plates on the cars?

I've even flown over Belgium a couple of times in a light plane and it's even ugly from the air.

No wonder this is where surrealism came from. Reality was just to hideous to paint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does have one or two saving graces in that it does have some good shooting clubs that we Brits can use and they do brew the odd beer or six that are not too bad! But you make a fair point on the Ugly stakes - Bruge excepted.