Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The "go to" dragon

I'm not sure but I think I just got promoted.

This is actually quite an achievement as when I joined Banko Di Haggis I reported directly to the guy who is now the manager of my managers managers manager and I had got the impression that in the corporate organisation chart I ranked somewhere around the level of the mould behind the coffee machine.

But I was happy being ranked alongside fungus. They paid me tolerably well, were pretty cool about my hours, I had plenty of interesting stuff to work on, I got to work from home (which normally meant tapping away on the lappy at the kitchen table in my dressing gown - something I can no longer do as Freja took to stuffing her nose into my genitals for some reason known only to canines) one day a week and the sausage sandwiches from the canteen were quite acceptable. Best of all I had made it quite clear when I took the gig that at the slightest sniff of man-management responsibilities being assigned to yours truly the building and everyone in it would disappear in the most colossal breath weapon attack since a log time ago - and all credit to my various managers as I made my way to the bottom of the organisation chart they honoured that.

So I was quite surprised to be called over by my latest manager who is pretty newly minted himself - I think they gave him the title of "development lead", basically he's what we called a team leader in the old days - to be asked if I wouldn't mind being made "Technical Lead" on the project, Basically what this seems to entail is being the "go to" dragon on questions of architecture and coding and having the casting vote on how we end up building stuff. I was actually rather flattered that people thought enough of my coding abilities (which are not bad but hardly l33t) to put me in this position.

It was a little later that the realisation dawned that of course should any technical decisions go amiss that I was the "go to" dragon when it came to dishing out the blame.

Apart from that I can't see as my job has changed in any material way, I still cut the code and sort out the database after the traders decided to make a horlicks of upgrading their pricing models as they did today. There's not officially any money but I am told "something will be done" when it comes to pay rise and bonus time later this month; can't say I am holding my breath though.

On the blame thing my plan there is to make sure I get a touchy-feely group hug consensus that I can say everyone "bought into at the meeting" should it prove that swapping the database server for a bowl of fruit was maybe not technically the best thing we could have done.

3 comments:

LondonMisfit said...

You'd be in line for a massive promotion at my current workplace if you replaced a server with a bowl of fruit - at least, that's the only way I can begin to understand the decisions behind our datawarehouse architecture....

Congrats on the newly minted Go-to-dragon status though - now go get that bowl of fruit!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dracunculus said...

^^^

Dear Taiwanese Scammer whose comment I removed.

Should you ever come back here posting your tatty link spam ever again I will personally remove your gonads with a rusty spoon and feed them to my dogs.

Just so there's no misunderstanding.

Love and hugs

Grumpy Dragon