Friday, February 19, 2010

Those collars... why?

I have a vicar or some other religious functionary sat opposite me on the train this morning. I can tell this because he has his dog collar on.

Why? I mean there's probably a doctor on this train as well but I don't see anyone with a stethoscope round their necks, there may well be military people too but no-one is wearing battle dress or a uniform so how come they wander round outside their churches wearing these silly little collars?

It's probably so parents can recognise them and keep their kids away.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

A clergyman once told me that he wore a dog collar because it allowed him to walk around hospitals without being challenged. He looked upon it as his badge of access. Clergymen are very easy to spot when they do not wear a dog collar or other vestments though. Most simply look confused!