Wednesday, April 18, 2007

An error in your moral compass has occurred, please reset

I see over on Yahoo (I get my news from all the best places) that our wierdybeardy druid archbishop has stuck his oar into the muddy waters of the "debate" (read "vicious backstabbing slanging match") on homosexuality1 and said that many of his co-religionists are misreading the bible. Yeah like that doesn't ever happen.

It reminds me of a time years ago when I had this Christian friend I used to talk religion with. I'd say something like "Hey, you believe this bible thing so how come you eat cheeseburgers when the bible says you shouldn't?" he would get this sort of fatherly "I love my son but he's making a mess of trying to ride a bike so I'll help him" expression of kindly sorrow and say "ah, you are in error..." and proceed to go through a bunch of tortuous logic that you could drive a coach and four through to try and show that while the bible might actually say in black and white that eating meat and milk together was not allowed that the bible actually says it is. However this chain of shoddy logic which explained why it was no longer necessary to stone disobedient children to death although the bible clearly says you should somehow didn't work where botty sex was concerned.

Anyway back to Archbish Rowan. Now I took a look at the relevant bit of bible verse that is being spoken about here (Romans 1:27 in case you want a look yourself) and it does seem pretty clear that botty sex is a bad thing in Paul's mind. However interestingly enough if you read around this verse what Mr Road to Damascus seems to be saying is that "Because people, who should have known better, worshipped the creation rather than the creator God made them all 'Good With Colours'". So it's God's fault that there are gays because he made them that way. Can't see I follow the logic as I've come across some very heterosexual Pagans in my time but we'll let that pass for now.

Either way I'm struggling here to see Rowan William's point that this passage is all about not being a smug, self righteous prick but apparently that's all in chapter 2

Certainly starts in a promising way...

"Therefore you are without excuse, whoever you are, when you judge someone else. For on whatever grounds you judge another, you condemn yourself,"

And then it all goes downhill...
"because you who judge practice the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment is in accordance with truth against those who practice such things. And do you think, whoever you are, when you judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself, that you will escape God’s judgment?"


Seems clear to me what is being said is "If you rant and rave about gays but are really indulging in a spot of sausage up the bum activity yourself my Invisible Friend will know and beat you up." rather than the whole thing being about not to condemn people. Basically it's saying "Don't be a hypocrite" which is fine but it certainly is our Paul saying that being gay is bad, so bad in fact that if you don't worship him, god will make you lust after other men's willies.

However I am probably (kindly smile) "in error" once more.

It would be nice if the Xtians could make their minds up on this once and for all but I suspect that this one will run and run.

In the meantime I'll continue to put my willy wherever I like so long as it's welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

typical of people who play the game of telephone. all your friends are of one opinion, and then you go along with them too. possibly you were raised that way. maybe you found a website with passages from the bible that back up your points of view. possibly you even read the bible, but have poor reading comprehension skills.

either way, you are typical of a generation of people who are desperate for something to be against but can't see past the views of your closed-minded friends.

Dracunculus said...

Yay! At last someone has flamed me. Took bloody long enough!

Shame it's an semi-literate moron who seems to not know how to use capital letters; and what the fuck is the game of "Telephone all your friends are of one opinion." Are there rules on how to play somewhere on the net? Maybe there's a league I can play in?

Oh and I have read the bible. I read it it Latin.

Still made no freaking sense but it sounded better.