Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Did we really write software like this

For reasons that will become clear in a later post I have had a call to download some rather old software. It didn't work at first as I needed to download an old friend, the Visual Basic 3 runtime (vbrun300.dll). My god I have not needed that file for years, I remember when we used to have to carry it round to stick on user's Windows 3.1 boxes to get the piece of crap we'd just written (which invariably was some front end to an Access database) to function.

If you were around then you probably remember VB3 applications as loads of amateurs wrote them they all looked the same: all battleship grey, a mess of MDI windows and as user friendly as a root canal operation - mind you a few "pros" wrote them like this too. This is the app I just downloaded in all its glory.



Jesus what a fucking mess!

Mind you this was probably cutting edge in 1995.

No comments: