Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Silver Screen

I'm staying with friends in The Netherlands at the moment and last night we all trundled off to the movies. Now I haven't been to see a film at the cinema (or "bioscoop" as they call them here) for, well, ages. I think the last time was when the first Lord of The Rings film came out.

Now people do tell me that the "experience" is what the cinema is all about, the big screen, the sound system and the guy behind you eating a packet of crisps loudly during the quiet bits.

Well OK but I have a nice sound system at home, regrettably when it gets above "15" on the volume control the dogs start getting upset and howling and OK I can't quite do the several metres wide screen thing but then again I can see things quite adequately on my flat screen telly and probably in just as good resolution now I've got blu-ray. The seat was comfy sure enough and there was a shop where you could get popcorn (I hate popcorn) in the intermission.

So I can kind of see why people watch their movies at home these days. Mainly because I can think the good people of Hoogezand would have been a bit put out if I'd sat there sprawled out over three seats and paused the movie to go to the bog.

Oh and the film was Harry Potter 7(a). Not at all bad to be honest, just turn the brain off.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I agree with you totally. I am surprised that any cinema has remained in business. The best place for movies is in your home. A good seat, no strangers, good food and drink. You can also do things that are anti-social or arrestable at the same time!