Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My mental circuit breaker

I have a circuit breaker in my brain. It trips when I try and read thinks like this which plopped into the work mailbox:

The mid-year performance review provides an opportunity to reflect on the progress you have made in the first half of 2011 and to consider any adjustments you need to make in order to deliver against your full-year targets. Please take the time to actively reflect on whether your activities are completely aligned with our strategic goals and effective in delivering for clients. For those of you who are new to the business in 2011, please ensure that you discuss performance objectives with your Line Manager and clearly understand how your contribution will help us build for the future.


Honestly I can't read stuff like this without my brain shutting down - I figure it must be some sort of defence mechanism that stops me wanting to tear into tiny shreds people who use that particular brand of "... aligned with strategic goals for delivering to clients..." management speak.

My activities are completely aligned with making sure my office chair is at just the right height, that my morning sausage sandwich is at the right temperature and that I can sneak out the door at 5.20 most days; oh and making sure that my code doesn't fall over in a steaming heap of fail because I hate fixing live faults. Hope that's strategic enough for you Mr Management person who needs to get the "all my underlings did the utterly pointless mid year review that now has zero bearing on your compensation since you got rid of the bonuses for coding monkeys like me" box ticked.

No comments: