Friday, January 18, 2008

That will need more than a respray



I think he bent it.

Indulge me for a moment here as being a dragon I am rather interested in flight and what is more being a dragon with a PPL and over 200 hours on light singles and twins quite interested in how you humans do it too.

First of all that is a fucking awesome bit of flying. Now I've done glide approaches in light aircraft a few times (is part of the training) and they are not easy, now imagine doing one with all your avionics down in a plane with the glide angle of a cow three miles out and over a major city. That he got it to the field is incredible, that everyone walked away and they might even be able to use the plane again is a miracle.

But what the hell happened. When I heard he'd lost power and avionics I assumed that for some reason his engines had flamed out (electrical power is generated by the engines, they stop running and everything goes dark - normally a little engine in the tail, the APU, generates power on the ground) but now I read a passenger saying both engines were "screaming" when they went in so maybe they were running - given the lack of damage to the engine housings though I doubt that; maybe the screaming was his fellow passengers?

One thing I thing we can discount however is our wierdybeardy friends with their korans. Of course all the conspiraloons are coming out of the woodwork with tales of EMP (Elecro Magnetic Pulse) generators that can knock planes out of the sky and that the approach path is over several "immigrant" areas (of course it it - our capital is called "Londonistan" for a reason you know).

Yes EMP does exist and it can fry electronics. However the best way to generate an EMP pulse is to... let a small nuke off! If AlQuibble had nukes, they would not be using them to knock random 777s out of the sky I can assure you. Sure there are other ways but I really cannot imagine some bearded twat with a dishrag on his head has figured out how to make something that has eluded the finest defence contractors in the world using only components bought from Maplins and a capacitor the size of an elephant.

No comments: