Sunday, March 21, 2010

Moss. I has it.

So here I am in HK. If you follow the Twitter feed you'll know that my hotel is brand spanking new (in fact the taxi driver said something about "only two months") and all the staff wear t-shirts and use Apple Macs to check you in. I think if the cleaning staff come into the room and see my beat up Thinkpad T60 they'll chuck it out as "not trendy enough".

Now I've been upgraded to a twin on the 29th floor which has a view, of sorts



apparently I was originally assigned the 8th floor which would have probably given me a view of someone's laundry hung outside their apartment window.

For some reason this room comes with a complementary small pot of moss on the desk.



I do not know why the management felt it necessary to give me some moss. It's probably lucky in Chinese tradition or something.

Anyway as I arrived on Sunday I thought I would take a little sightseeing trip up to The Peak where you get a good view of HK. So I took the old tram...



... there it is, very old and a rather fun ride as it climbs at a 48% gradient at one point but unfortunately by the time I'd queued up and ridden to the top it had cooled down enough for the clouds to reform so what I was supposed to see was this...



... and what we all at the top saw was this...



Not quite the same.

So I retired to Lan Kwai Fong for a beer or two... apparently it is traditional to get your picture taken by the road sign so here are some people taking a picture of someone by a road sign.



Work tomorrow.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Perhaps they thought you were from Manchester and wanted to make you feel at home? Moss Side !!

Dracunculus said...

I think it they wanted me to feel like I was at home in Moss Side they would have just organised a drive-by shooting and tried to sell me drugs.