Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ni Hao Gweilos.

Well here we are in Cathay Pacific's business class lounge. As I'm travelling on a Saturday the biz lounge seems to be full of trendy young people in very expensive fashionable label clothes tapping on aching thing laptops or gabbling into the latest iPrat device but it does make a change from the usual middle aged businessman in the obligatory casual travelling dress of a Timberland shirt and Chinos*.

Because of the BA strike on at the moment (drove past some pickets on the way in, other people blew their horns, I gave them the finger and yelled "get back to work you idle bastards") the flight is very, very full and the lounge is filling up even though there's two hours before we leave. All I can say is they better not run out of Carlsberg Export any time soon.

One nice plus is the free wifi - nice and fast, downside is that my mains socket isn't powered which is annoying (it will be even more sodding annoying if my power adaptor is fecked.)

And as this is my blog it would not be complete without a grump at the world. Now I like the occasional cigar and glass of scotch so what better to stick two fingers up at Gordon the Gorgon by picking up some duty free. I believe I'm allowed fifty cigars to bring back and as T3 had a nice place called "The cigar house" I drop in to stock up on H Upmanns and Montecristos.

"Ah" says Abdul the till numpty when he checks my ticket, "Hong Kong's got a lower limit."

"What, fourty or something?" says your slightly dissapointed dragon.

"No, fifteen"

"Arse"

Just have to pick some up whilst I'm there I guess. I realise I left my cutter at home so I'll have to swing by Mr Wang's Lung Death Emporium in Kowloon anyway.

Right. More free Carlsberg.




* being middle aged but not knowing one end of a business plan from another I am travelling in my going up hills trousers and a t-shirt and fleece - hey if it's comfy and stretchable enough to get up Helvellyn via Striding Edge it'll do for a 12 hour flight to Honkers.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Your "going up hills trousers and a t-shirt and fleece" are the right clothes to wear for your journey. That is how I always dress when going on holiday. Not an old pair of walking trousers but my latest pair of Craghoppers Classic Kiwi's .