Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tai chi with weapons

In the great tradition of my last visit to HK I seem to be managing not to actually eat anything remotely Chinese.

Tonight I found there was an curry house called the "Koh I Noor" round the corner so popped in for some very lovely samosas and a passable chicken dopiaza (I keep forgetting that in Asia "chicken" means "scrawny bird that stopped laying so we threw it in a pot"). Afterwards I took a stroll through the park and came across six or seven people doing what could only be described as tai-chi exercises with swords, those flexible Chinese ones you saw in "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" with sensei occasionally stepping in and correcting a pose or movement. Can you imagine that in the UK, they would have been practising for 10 seconds before thirty armed plod would have shown up to arrest them for having offensive weapons.

Later on in the evening I spent an entertaining hour up in the open air rooftop bar where I'd gone to indulge in one of my duty free Montecristo No. 2's having a chat to a Korean chap called Roy about the UK premier league despite me knowing the square root of sod all about football. Mind you fully half of that was taken up with describing where Burnley was in relationship to Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool.

I have returned to my room to find...

... someone keeps moving my moss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photo not working (and I was looking forward to todays moss report)

Anonymous said...

Photo not working (and I was looking forward to todays moss report)

Blackpowder said...

Back in Blighty the Kevlar Cowboys would have drilled your fake sword wielding Tai Chi guys full of holes first and then spent months justifying it to all and sundry.

I think you should start glueing the moss to matchsticks or twigs to produce a few miniture trees to dot about your room!