Monday, February 19, 2007

Ebay scumbags

OK so as a dragon I do occasionally have to fly through some pretty rotten weather and so being a modern kind of dragon I have an aviation GPS which I've just upgraded and so I now have an older but perfectly usable one to sell.

So like anyone these days in the age of the InterWeb I pop onto Ebay to try and flog it.

And I get the shit spammed out of me, mostly with emails like this:

To: Dracunculus12345
From: RandomJumbleOfCharachters
Re: Question for Item "Dragon's Whizzy GPS unit"
Dear Dragony Person. We be WhangWhang electrical biggest wire and box emporium whole of China import export special! Much cheap bargains yes! Look! Look! Much cheap taiwanese shit we in our shop are having. Log onto chineseclappylectric.com! Red button is no turn delightful!

Being a good dragon I reported the first couple of these through Ebay's "Moan about a member" service but gave up in the end as I was getting two or three a day followed by an automated drone sending a "you got spam" email - great, so instead of one spam I get another spam telling me that I've been spammed!

Funny. I never got this on any other auctions (large collection of second hand knight's armour, one warhorse - used - slight singeing around the saddle area) so I guess WhangWhang and his pals just hoover up and down the GPS and other high-value electricals section trying to flog their wares. Not sure what Ebay could do about it to be honest but how about making it a small sum of money, say $10, to "join" Ebay and you get that back after you've bought or sold 5 or so items. Bet that would put the scammers off. Failing that send them round my house and I'll choke them to death on a rare "Magic the Beanie Baby Dragon" (with stupid little poem tags intact, see my other listings for more tat)

Oh some guy in Iceland won the GPS in the end.

No comments: