Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rubbish

Following on from yesterday's gripe about our Glorious Leader's plans to make criminals of us all I also notice that we're all going to have to save the planet as well. Aside from garotting everyone in the house of commons which would surely reduce the amount of global warming, what with all the hot air those monkeys produce, I suppose that this means that folks like me are probably going to have to shell out more in "green" taxes that are supposed to make me act more "environmentally responsibly" whatever the feck that's supposed to mean.

OK so pray tell how I'm supposed to get to and from work? I use the train but the station is ten miles away. Use the bus? Where I live has three buses a day the nearest stop for which is three miles from my house so that's not going to work. Cycle? I leave for work at six in the morning so if you think I'm up for a bracing ten mile morning bike ride at five in the morning you can go and fornicate yourself.

I recycle, not because I think it's a great idea but becuase my local council to whom I pay a grand and a half for and get bog all back in return only give me a piddly little wheely bin and all my crap doesn't fit in it so all the plastic and paper and anything else I can reasonably get away with all goes in this box for the once a fortnight collection if they can be bothered. I watched the "recyling contractor" one week... he just chucks everything in the back of a bin wagon and I'm 100% certain it goes in the same landfill as the crap from my wheely bin that was emptied moments earler as no attempt is made to sort it and I'm sure half the stuff I put out can't be recycled anyway. To be honest it's probably better that it does get dumped in a landfill, the paper stuff anyway as at least that'll rot down and I bet it costs just as much in terms of "carbon footprint" to make paper out of old paper as it does to make it out of new trees. And hey it's not as though we're exactly running out of trees - we just plant new ones which slurp carbon dioxide out of the air as they grow. Net-net recycling paper is probably bad for the environment. And it costs more.

Sure, there's a global warming problem that needs addressing and, as someone whose house is 2 metres above sea level I would like to see it addressed. But footling around with piddly little kerbside recycling schemes is just making dim people think they are making a difference and distracting them from the real issues. You putting your Sunday suppliments out won't help, what will is a whole bunch of really unpalatable changes (and not some arsey little green tax which won't change your behaviour one jot, just make you poorer) like wholesale changes to the whole economy so people work locally to where they live and the environment instead of shareholder profit becomes the primay business driver, massive curbs on travel and transport of people and goods (no more Ugandan kumquats for you matey!) and somebody going off to China and India and saying "You know we had all that lovely economic growth, rises in living standards and life expetancy over the last couple of hundred years and now you want the same, well I'm afraid you can't. Sorry."

And lets face it, that's just not going to happen is it.

I'd best invest in some water wings. In the meantime, I'll carry on driving this, thanks very much.

No comments: